Museo Paseo del Arte
Project: urban complex at the service of the ride “Juan Carlos I – public car park, exhibition center and recreation area – located in the former source of memory, Paseo del Arte, in Seville.
Location: Paseo Juan Carlos I, Seville.
Date of project: August 2014
Architect: Pablo Manuel Millán Millán, José Luis Argüelles Hernández, Roman Fernandez Guixot.
Engineering: TEDECO, S.L.
WATCHING THE RIVER
All access: access
- ibility to the premises has been one of the main objectives to be taken into account in the design of the set. Thus, we find two types of access:
- Pedestrian access: the first access that occurs in the project, once reached from the upper level, is the visual recognition. Due to the transparency of the same, the alternation of patios and walkways, they allow that from above can register throughout the project without having entered it. Physical access to the site may be in three ways:
- Since the dimension of the Paseo Juan Carlos I: project consists of two nuclei of vertical access by stairs, one at each end of the project. This, together with the opening of these public spaces, allows pedestrian access of direct and fast way to a dimension to another. At the same time one of the vertical cores of stairs is equipped with a double system of Elevator, which connects all levels of the building.
- From the street tournament: the main entrance for pedestrians is located at elevation of calle Torneo. There, and after having wandered by art samples to outdoor located on this dimension, the pedestrian is driven by a set of lights on the floor and access evidenced in the architecture into the set. From the level of the street tournament you can travel on all the set covers, allowing this to locate spaces for samples and logical exhibitions of the art walk.
- Road access: given the location in one of the main entrances of the town as calle Torneo, the project has raised the need to be perfectly attached to the traffic, being one of the guarantors of the success of the complex. From this perspective the equipment of the car park is linked to this type of access. The possibility of accessing the complex on-site parking is one of the great strengths of the same success. Attached to this access from the dimension of the paseo Juan Carlos I to limited traffic, allows access to equipment, goods, etc. Arguably, that the project is an equipment connected in all its dimensions by vehicular access.
On the integration of the project in the environm
- ent: one of the elements taken into account in the design of the project object of this basic project, has been the integration into the context. This goal has enabled search architecture characterized by:
- Search for horizontal lines: given a scope limited by two large horizontal lines (River and street tournament), the project has sought at all times continue with that guideline, organizing all the Bank of the river. This compositional element (horizontal) has allowed the project to dialogue with the environment clearly and reciprocal.
- Open enclosures: dialogue with the context in which the project is inserted has been generating points on which there is no physical separation, points where is imperceptible know if it is wandering by paseo Juan Carlos I calle Torneo or by the Paseo del Arte. This resource is achieved through a system of open enclosures, without physical separations, opening dialogue with the medium that les circundad, which allows them to access, both physical and visual.
- Translucent materials: one of the resources used for the ongoing dialogue between the inside and outside is the use of materials translucent, trying to book the opaque to strictly necessary elements. This visual relationship between the inside of the enclosure and the outside guarantees a seamless integration. By diluting the limit with the weak materiality of the closings, we got that inside becomes outside and the outside is inserted inside.
- Intermediate courtyards: another compositional resources that participates the project, is the attempt to break up the architecture so that you can do a single reading of a “building”, but a set of alternating full and empty, constructed spaces and empty spaces. This got it through the achievement of patios, spaces of light and darkness and shadow spaces spaces. By way of an ephemeral infrastructure, we are looking for the immateriality of the constructed.
- Continuity of pavements in rio dimension: the project at all times seeks to not generate no breaking with what exists. This intends to materialize giving continuity to the materials of flooring, beds, etc. This continuity will ensure perfect physical insertion into the existing context.
- Conservation of existing vegetation: one more logical compositional resources, but no less effective, is the achievement of elements. The vegetation will play a special role in this regard. As we will see later on the conservation of existing vegetation, the project assumes all plant elements and is inserted between them.
- Tours: Travel continuously without physical separation zone one is the best way to ensure the perfect connection between the current city with the new project. Walk decks, walkways, patios, looking for the exhibitions open to architectural promenade mode, sets the perfect union between the city and the new architecture. The project not located any door that delimit the one inside that is not. It goes into and comes out of the enclosure with the naturalness of the promenade, the Paseo del Arte.
- On the urbanization of the accesses and gardening of the two levels: we understand that it is of utmost importance to mean the project within the sphere of action. Therefore contemplate a series of performances on the materiality of the proposal that guarantee this singling out unless you suppose this at any time the generation of a fracture with the existing city to analyze:
- Development of access: After analyzing the materializad of current urbanization, calle Torneo and paseo Juan Carlos I, the project proposes two different interventions. In the dimension of calle Torneo, continuing urbanization existing but changing the materiality. This will allow us to continue with the current stone floors of 80 x 80 cm, drawing but using a type of concrete slab polished white, alternated with losas-luminarias, so that they allow us to single out access. In this way urbanizing the superior environment giving continuity, but establishing the difference of the new action. In the dimension of the paseo Juan Carlos I, we act in a similar way. After the cleaning, repair and storage of the planters and flower beds in existing, we establish a seating area, walkways and patios through a system of prefabricated concrete slabs of characteristics similar to those in the tournament benchmark. This constructive resource will allow us to continue in formal terms, but tell the difference in the material.
- Calle Torneo icons: in the attempt to which the project can be an exercise in integration at urban level and social level, Paseo del Arte poses to develop a competition at the level of local artists from Seville to be able to establish the sculptures and images that will occupy the entire complex. This is one of the objectives of the project, so that the architecture-level dimension tournament passes unnoticed, limiting it strictly to access and lighting of the environment, so that all of the role these result sculptures of a later contest have it.
- Gardening at two levels: the conservation of the existing gardening is one of the resources that allow us to give continuity to the project with the city. The project proposes the incorporation of vegetation in the existing empty flower beds, so that the new building is fully inserted in a vegetable mass that makes invisible any impact of artifice in the environment. This raises the criterion objective increase the vegetation in all spaces in which by the passage of time has been lost, returning to occupy the space that has been reserved for this purpose. The species that the project plans to locate shall be the same as that already exist to ensure continuity between the new equipment and the existing city.
The reduced impact of the project to the trees: o
- ne of the objectives of the project has been the cause the least possible impact on the existing trees. This is due to interest from the architectural proposal of concentrating all the possible trees and even increasing it in areas where possible. The search for an architecture that dilute the limits based on the fact that woodland be inserted in the proposal. For this reason we propose:
- Cota Street tournament-level: only trees which includes the sheet removed and due to the construction of the vessel containing the parking.
- Dimension of the paseo Juan Carlos I: is retains all existing woodland and is even increased, placing in the new empty flowerbeds trees, specifically four. This ensures positive factors such as the natural shade in the courtyards and intermediate spaces, the inclusion of the proposal in the Middle, etc.
About access to the parking
- : as we have described previously, parking is one of the main equipment for the proper functioning of the proposal. Therefore the proposal has analyzed stopped way optimal access and evacuation of the same, unless it involves a point of agglomeration to the current calle Torneo. So the parking equipment poses:
- Entrance to the car park: input occurs through the incorporation of rail service that currently exist. This intermediate step between calle Torneo and own parking ensures a quiet access, avoiding crowds and plugs in own vial or the own entry. Since joining the service lane, the user has two options: or enter directly or, in case of being occupied the entrance, located on the left side (to prevent the clogging of the service road) until the entry is free. However, given the system of automatic access which has parking, access will be quickly.
- Exit the parking: if important is not to cause plug or alteration in calle Torneo street traffic, no less so is out of the way process with an addition that does not give rise to doubts or moments of danger. To do this, the user leaving the parking lot, past the mark of safety and climb the ramp, located on a plateau with room for two vehicles. From this plateau, and given the good visibility, the driver will see the ideal time of incorporation in the service road which can merge without any problem in calle Torneo. This fact guarantees a way procedural addition and a safe and rapid evacuation.
- Loading and unloading of goods: the vehicle rolled to supply access access the new set in each of its levels. At the intermediate level through the parking lot, which facilitates loading and unloading without interruption of the tour of the visitor with the worker. Also occurs at the level of the Paseo Juan Carlos I, low supply vehicle and from there Access stores provided for this purpose. Alongside this Juan Carlos I occurs the possibility of timely direct access from the own ride for specific occasions.
- Bike: the continuity of rail bike will not be interrupted at any point, but will require the modification of the current layout. To not crossing at any time travel vehicle to motor with the bike, it will not generate any risk or the user of the parking, the cyclist.
On the urbanizatio
- n: the equipment involved in the project we are presenting develops in three levels, levels to be opened in most of its space, featuring determinations to urban in each level. We therefore turn to describe it in detail:
- To calle Torneo dimension: urbanization is done through a system modular 80 x 80 cm. in continuity with the existing cutting. Based on this grid we establish a checkerboard of different materials. On the one hand a slab of polished white concrete of 80 x 80, which will form the major part of the stone floors. On the other hand and the same size, parts lamps that demarcate and mark access to different points and in turn will be lighting parts located in the Paseo del Arte set. With these measures, and within the same grid will develop small flower beds of vegetation as well as different podiums for the location of the pieces.
- Intermediate level: walkways of white concrete and glass railings following the speech of ride.
- To dimension of paseo Juan Carlos I: restoration of the existing elements and within the limits of the set, with white concrete plate we Carters runways, delimiting them from the flower beds where they are currently the trees and the new ones that will be located.